Next Speakeasy: Early 2013, date to be confirmed. Please contact us to be notified of the date
What is Speakeasy?
Speak Easy is a support group for people who stutter, their family members and friends. Meetings are used to discuss issues around stuttering, to share new ideas and experiences, discuss feelings and to practice one's speech techniques.
Speakeasy was started by a group of people who stutter, their parents and speech therapists to address the issue of prevention and treatment of stuttering in South Africa through:
- Self-help groups
- Enhance the training and skills of Speech Therapists
Speakeasy has been running for approximately 15 years in Johannesburg. New branches of Speakeasy have been re-established in Durban, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth
when speaking to PWS (people who stutter)
- The PWS should be listened to patiently, not be hurried and not interrupted
- NEVER finish a PWS word unless asked to by the PWS
- Don’t fill in words or supply answers
- Don’t look pained, pitying or impatient
- Do not withdraw eye contact, glance nervously at the PWS or stare vacantly into space
- Speak naturally
- Maintain an unhurried, calm and interested manner
- No upcoming events available